Preparation Time: 10 mins
Fermenting time: 12 hours
Cooking Time: 45 mins
Makes 18 dosa
- 1/2 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 tbsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 1 cup raw rice (chawal)
- 1 cup par-boiled rice (ukda chawal)
- 2 tbsp thick beaten rice (poha)
- ghee for cooking
- coconut chutney
- milagai podi
- Combine the urad dal and fenugreek seeds in a deep bowl, soak it in enough water for 4 hours.
- Combine the rice, parboiled rice and thick rice flakes in a deep bowl , soak it in enough water for 4 hours.
- Drain the urad dal and fenugreek seeds and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using approx. 1 cup of water. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and keep aside.
- Drain the rice, parboiled rice and thick rice flakes blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using approx. 1 cup of water. Transfer the mixture into the same bowl, add the salt and mix well.
- Cover and ferment in a warm place for 12 hours.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a cloth.
- Pour a ladle ful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 225 mm. (9”) diameter thin circle.
- Smear a little ghee over it and along the edges and cook on a high flame till the dosa turns brown in colour and crisp.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle or a roll.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 17 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney and sambhar.