Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 51 mins
Makes 6 servings
For The Rice
- 1 1/2 cups long grained rice (basmati) , soaked and drained
- 1 bayleaf (tejpatta)
- 25 mm (1“) stick cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 clove (laung)
- 1 cardamom (elaichi)
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups boiled mixed vegetables (carrots , peas , cauliflower , french beans , potatoes) cubes
- 1/4 cup paneer cubes
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup roughly chopped tomatoes
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup milk
- a pinch of sugar
- 1/4 cup curds (dahi)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- a few drops of edible saffron colour
- 2 tbsp ghee
For the rice
- Combine 4½ cups of water, bayleaf, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, rice and salt in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes or till the rice is cooked.
- Strain the rice using a strainer and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick Kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and garam masala and Saute on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the mixed vegetables, paneer, salt and milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Combine the curds, coriander and saffron color in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the prepared rice, mix well and divide into 2 equal portions.
- Put a portion of the rice in a handi and spread it evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Add the prepared vegetable gravy on it and spread it evenly.
- Top it with the 2nd portion of the rice and spread it evenly.
- Pour the ghee evenly over it and cover it with a lid.
- Place the handi on a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook on a slow flame for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.