few other quick and easy paneer recipes on the blog are kadai paneer, paneer butter masala, paneer bhurji, paneer makhanwala, paneer do pyaza and quick paneer tikka recipe.
the entire recipe is made on a tawa/tava – a concave shaped round pan (shown in the step by step pics below) used in indian homes for making various indian flat breads like rotis and parathas. even dosa and cheela (gram flour crepes) are made on the tawa. they are also used for shallow frying snacks like aloo tikki and for dry roasting spices, nuts and seeds. a few vegetarian recipes made on tawa are tawa pulao, pav bhaji, tawa vegetable masala. another paneer recipes made on tawa is paneer khurchan recipe.
to make this recipe, you will need paneer/cottage cheese, capsicum, onion, tomatoes and the regular indian spices-herbs. i have made a puree of the tomatoes. however, you can just finely chop them and add to the dish.
while serving paneer tawa masala, drizzle some lemon juice on top and garnish with coriander leaves. accompany with some onion ring salad or an indian vegetable kachumber or salad.
if you are looking for more paneer recipes then do check malai paneer, paneer makhani, palak paneer, kadai paneer gravy, paneer jalfrezi, achari paneer and paneer tikka masala.
How to Make Tawa Paneer Masala Recipe:
COOK TIME: 25 mins
TOTAL TIME: 40 mins
- 200 to 250 gms paneer/cottage cheese
- 1 large onion finely chopped, about 100 to 120 gms
- 1 medium capsicum/green bell pepper, about 80 to 100 gms
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped, 180 to 200 gms
- 4 to 5 medium garlic/lahsun
- 1 inch ginger/adrak
- 1 green chili/hari mirch, chopped
- ½ tsp carom seeds/ajwain/omam
- 1 tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder/lal mirch powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tsp pav bhaji masala or ½ tsp garam masala + ¼ tsp dry mango powder/amchur powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves
- salt as required
- few chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta for garnish
- finely chop the onions and capsicum/green bell pepper.
- roughly chop the tomatoes, green chili, ginger and garlic.
- crush the ginger and garlic in a mortar-pestle to a paste.
- add the chopped tomatoes in a blender and make a smooth puree. keep aside.
- chop the paneer in ½ inch cubes.
- melt butter on a tawa or skillet.
- add the carom seeds/ajwain and fry them for a few seconds or till aromatic.
- add the onions and saute till translucent.
- add the ginger-garlic paste, green chilies, finely chopped capsicum/green bell pepper and saute for about 3 minutes.
- then add the red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and pav bhaji masala. if you don't have pav bhaji masala, add garam masala + amchur powder/dry mango powder.
- stir and saute for about a minute.
- then add the tomato puree and salt.
- stir well and saute till you see butter releasing from the sides and the masala has thickened a bit. this takes about 8 to 10 minutes on a low flame.
- if the tomato masala looks dry, then add 1 or 2 tbsp of water and continue to saute.
- add the paneer cubes and stir well, so that the masala coats the paneer cubes evenly.
- cook the paneer for 1 to 2 minutes. then add the crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves. stir very well and switch off the flame.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve tawa paneer masala with chapatis, phulkas, naan or bread. accompany with a few wedges of lemon slices which can be drizzled on the tawa paneer and a side onion salad.