Written By Rajesh Kumar on Thursday, 9 June 2016 | 00:51
Kadai Chicken is popular North Indian and Pakistani recipe, most of the restaurants serve kadai chicken or karahi chicken as some call it; like in our house wok is called karahi and not kadai a term normally used. Made with chicken, freshly grounded spices along with capsicum it's taste delicious. Kadai Chicken literally means cooking in kadai(wok) and to cook this dish only one utensil is used. If you think kadai chicken is one complicated recipe then it's not the case, it's quite easy and quick too with basic spices we normally have in our pantry.
Kadai chicken is semi-gravy types curry making it perfect side dish forkulcha, paratha, naan, jeera rice or steamed rice. Some people don't addcapsicum in the recipe but it does add wonderful flavor to the dish. For me capsicum added in anything make the dish more tasty don't you think so?
You might think list of ingredients is long but actually it's all basic spices so don't get scare, it's easy recipe and ideal for party, potluck or if you want to impress you guest with some restaurants style chicken then it's sure suits your bill, to make the curry colorful you can add red/yellow capsicum (Bell peppers) too.
Prep Time: 5 Mins
Cook Time: 40 Mins
Total Time: 45 Mins
If you haven't tried kadai chicken yet then there's no more excuse for you go ahead and try this recipe and pair it along bread or rice, do try to use fresh chicken to get best of flavors and it's gets cooked fast. You might also like Kadai Prawn and Kadai Mirch Paneer recipes.
Chicken - 300 gms
Onion - 2 Large
Tomatoes - 2 Large
Capsicum/Bell Pepper - 1 small or 1/2 cup chopped
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - To Taste
Water - 1 Cup
Chopped Coriander Leaves - 2 tbsp
Ginger-Garlic Paste - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
To Roast and Grind
Coriander Seeds - 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilli - 4
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon - 1/2 inch pieces
Oil -2 tbsp
Bay Leaf - 1
Green Cardamom - 16.
1. Roast all the ingredients listed under 'To Roast and Grind' until fragrant around 2 minutes and grind to coarse powder.
2. Clean and cut chicken in bite size pieces and marinate with half of masala we grind with 1 tsp of ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp salt, lemon juice and mix well, keep aside until required.
3. Peel and slice onion, chop coriander leaves and puree tomatoes.
4. In a pan or wok heat oil add bay leaf, cloves, cardamom and saute for a minute. Add onion, ginger-garlic paste and saute until onion becomes soft around 2-3 minutes.
5. Add remaining powder masala and mix well, saute for a minute. Add tomato puree, stir and cook in medium flame until oil separates.
6. Add chicken pieces and mix well, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until chicken start getting tender.
7. Now add salt, 1 cup water and bring it to good boil cover and cook for 12-15 minutes or until chicken pieces becomes soft and gravy thickness, add capsicum pieces stir well, cover and cook for 5 minutes in medium heat or until capsicum gets cooked and gravy becomes thick, oil separates
8. Add garam masala stir and off flame. If there is little gravy left it's fine,it will be dry after some time.
Serve hot with rice, jeera rice, roti or paratha.